The Greater Plettenberg Bay area has fantastic diversity in both Fauna and Flora and to celebrate this, was classified as an Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBA) by Birdlife South Africa in 2015. To maintain this status, we need to zone beaches in a way that protects our shorebirds while also being inclusive to both dog owners and holiday makers that enjoy our beaches.
In partnership with Nature’s Valley Trust, Plett Tourism, PAWS and the Ratepayer Associations of Plettenberg Bay, Keurbooms and Nature’s Valley, Bitou municipality is launching dog zonation on beaches, from Robberg to Nature’s Valley.
Please keep an eye out at beach entrances for the zonation in your immediate area and your closest preferred zone. Transition zones will be marked with clear signage on the beaches. Please leash your dog when moving from a green zone to an orange zone and remember that dogs are not allowed in a red zone, whether on a leash or not; these are high-density shorebird nesting areas or are designated Blue Flag Beaches.
Non-compliance to these new regulations as well as unruly dogs may be subject to a fine.
NO DOGS BEACHES:
• Central Beach,
• Hobie Beach,
• Robberg Beach (from Beacon Isle to the end of Robberg 5 the blue flag beach incl Robberg 5)
• The Waves Beach (Keurbooms) opposite Mare Nostrum (pilot Blue Flag beach)
Permitted ONLY on a leash:
• Southwards of Robberg 5 to Robberg Beach End (Sanctuary Beach onwards to Robberg Beach End)
• Poortjies lagoon area
• North of Enricos restaurant to Matjiesfontein Natures Valley
• Westward of The Waves Beach
• Lookout Beach and Peninsula
Poo bags will be distributed free of charge at the above dog beaches.
Law enforcement have now started with enforcement whereby transgressors will be fined for:
• Section 19(1): permitting any dog in a public road or place without a leash – R500
• Section 19(2): failing to remove any faeces left by a dog in a public street or place – R500
• Section 20(I)(d)(iii): permitting a dog to constitute a source of danger or injury to a person outside the premises of the owner – R500
For any queries relating to dogs on beaches please contact Bitou Municipality on 044 501 3174/5, and they will respond within 24 hours. After hours 086 124 8686.
BECOME A FULL PAYING MEMBER TODAY FOR ONLY R185P/YEAR AND START MAKING A DIFFERENCE TO YOUR COMMUNITY