IMPORTANT NEW RULES – BOATING ON THE RIVERS IN PLETT
Greetings, welcome and we wish you a very happy holiday and safe times on the rivers of Bitou.
A few updates for those purchasing a permit for their boat from Cape Nature. In December 2015 the Bitou River Bylaw was published after intensive consultation. Key aspects for you to be aware of and to comply with:
- From the N2 bridge downstream to the river mouth and the entire Pooitjies area is a NO WAKE zone. ALL the way. Day and night. This means exactly what it says. No wake. Dead slow ahead. This rule has been in place for decades but not actively been enforced for years. Volumes on the river have grown immensely. It is time to enforce the Bylaw which is the key to accommodating all who would enjoy the rivers, at all times South of the N2 including canoeists, paddle boarders, fishing people, nature lovers, birds, fish, creatures large and small, in the environment of the rivers and estuary.
- Ski-ing is permitted only from 10am to 4pm in the ski-zone above i.e. North of the N2 bridge.
- Ski-ing or towing is definitely not permitted at any time any place South of the N2 bridge. Ski-ing includes all kinds and manner of towing of people.
- If you are requested to stop, or to desist from any activity by a law enforcement officer or other authorised person, please do so with grace. Any unwarranted behaviour will result in Bitou Enforcement or SAPS being called in.
- Be aware that there are observers, land and river based, recording wreckless or otherwise illegal behaviour and reporting boat numbers, through observation and photography to the authorities.
- Alcohol consumption by anyone on Bitou’s beaches, or in an unlicensed public place generally, is strictly forbidden – including on the river, its banks and environment. Being a boat skipper under the influence of alcohol is as much an offence as driving a car under the influence.
Issued by Bitou Municipality and Cape Nature. For more detail see http://www.bitou.gov.za/rivers-by-law
NON-EMERGENCY NUMBERS: For further non-emergency information please contact: BITOU Municipal HELPLINE 044533 5000, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Enjoy your time on the river
NSRI: 082 990 5975 CAPE NATURE: 044 533 2125 BITOU MUN: 044 533 5000
BECOME A FULL PAYING MEMBER TODAY FOR ONLY R185P/YEAR AND START MAKING A DIFFERENCE TO YOUR COMMUNITY[pmpro_levels]